Thursday, September 18, 2008

How do you know?



Before I came to Korea, some of my friends were intent on me “finding a good one to take home with me”. As offensive as this is to me and the women of Korea as a whole, it doesn’t mean since I have been here I have not reflected on the beauty, kindness, simplicity and grounded nature of many of the women I have encountered during my short time of more than two months. In fact, the comments made before I hopped on the Airbus to spend nearly eight thousand miles in the air may be the thing that has kept me from exploring some options. Well, that is not exactly true.

Here in central Asia, men and women do not wear wedding rings. They do not actually display anything that would alert a would be pursuant that the individual they are about to initiate courting rituals with is already married. Based on the fact that most adult Koreans do not just flirt with strangers who think they are attractive, there really is not a simple way to explore potential options.

I have reflected on what it would be like to be in your late twenties and single, which is the not the norm, and try to figure out whom you can and cannot pursue honorably. Unlike the west, married women do not get their kicks out of flirting while married to prove to themselves they are still attractive. Married women here are rarely focused on their ability to look “hot”. So, how do you know?

Again, this is not like the States where asking someone out casually is common or even acceptable. When men and women reach the neighborhood of thirty, the family places pressure on them to find a mate, even more so for women than men, which of course is not surprising. When dating someone who has reached that age range, the expectation is that you are dating for potential marriage partners. This increases the pressure for all involved, male and female.

I am older and there are really not any women at or near my age that are not married, so the whole ring thing is not a big deal for me since they would all have rings if that were a social norm. But this does not mean those in the thirties I do not look at as we peruse through the cabbage or mandarin oranges in the local market together. I look at their shopping carriage and see items that indicate family: baby products, cleaning supplies, junk food and quantities too large for an individual. In Korea, there are not women who are single with children, it just doesn’t happen. I do not know how prevalent abortion is here. There is a large Catholic influence and generally people hold more traditional values than many western cultures do. I make the leap that they are not available without giving it another thought. Besides, I do not know how or what are the courting practices here except that often families still arrange marriages. Oh yeah, and I do not speak HanGul yet.

Leaving all the personal details aside, how would one know anyway?
How would you know?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, in the past, married women in Korea would where their hair down. Single women would put in pony tails, buns or whatnot. This is one distinction that sometimes applies, but is not a sure hit.

But just like the Korean men, it is not uncommon for the women to lie and cheat. But it is generally safe to assume that a Korean women over the age of 27 are married (85% of the time), and ladies under 24 are single (75% or the time)... let me guess you are 25 right in the middle hahahaha!

When it comes to non-married women that are dating, it is rare that they remain with this partner for marriage. In my experience of say 50 Korean women that I have known to get married, only maybe 5 marry who the have dated. Generally they marry someone who their parents arranged or have received though a match maker.

In my experience out of the 50 women I know who got married, 40 break up with their "boy friends" (or never had one), 5 do marry their "boy friends" and 5 remain 'active' with their past boy friends, even though they are married to another...

What I am trying to get at, don't worry to much whether or not the Korean woman is single :D, at the end of the day, it does not matter. What matters is the lady accepts you as a foreigner, does not want you to show off to her friends, does not want you for your passport, and does not try to change you to a Korean 'girly boy' who wears pink couple shirts to show off they are together when she takes you shopping for that $2000 hand bag... (I was young and stupid when she attempted this, but I did not change... and I did not wear pink or buy anything over $9)

michael swerdloff said...

Thanks for the input and sharing your experience jim. i have to say that it really only is personal to me mildly, more a social observation and curiosity. i am older then most single women and the rules generally do not apply to me. i am typically to "alternative" for much of that stuff to directly effect me.

I do find the marriage rate at that age incredible and the matchmaking/arranged marriage rate is still high, surprising.

i will keep paying attention and see if i can add to your list of no-verbal cues.
peace
michael

sam59527 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.